Monday 8 February 2016

How much do you cost the NHS?

I just came across this really interesting feature on the Guardian's website, regarding how much we cost the NHS. (Link here)
Perhaps this is just my inner medic talking, but I find it interesting to see just how much even procedures that seem relatively simple, and even just your average GP visit, costs!
Funding for the NHS has been in the news a lot lately, especially regarding privatisation. I believe that more should be done to make the population aware of how much it does cost to run a safe, and decent health care service entirely free of charge (excluding taxes of course).
Of course these figures should be taken with a pinch of salt, but I do recommend that you have a quick look to just see how much you have cost the NHS, and just how much you would've had to pay if we weren't lucky enough to have it, over the past few years alone. 
I believe we should have a free health care service for all. I think it's the Government's responsibility to take care of the population and the NHS is a fair way of doing it. Sure, it has it's issues, as does everything, but until someone comes up with a better idea, we need to stick with it!
I also don't think that people who go private should be able to queue jump. Just because you have money, that doesn't make you more important than someone who doesn't.
However, I do believe that we should be encouraged to contribute in some way. I know that, once I have an income and if it were easy enough to do, I would happily pay towards any treatment I receive. Okay, perhaps paying a few thousand for an operation may be a little out of the price range, but I would happily give anything I can. Besides, even if everyone gave £20, that's some extra income, right?

What are your views on the NHS and funding? Or, if you're from other countries, what is your opinion on your healthcare system, or lack of? I would love to hear all your views!

No comments:

Post a Comment